The Monday Muse. 27 hours.

27hours

This afternoon I realised that it takes me four minutes and 29 seconds to peel a satsuma. That’s over 31 minutes a week, which is around 1,631 minutes a year… otherwise known as 27 hours.

It has come as quite a shock to me that such a block of my time is dedicated to one of my five a day, and it has had me wondering how much time I waste on other humdrum tasks.

Five minutes more wasted and I have come up with this little list.

1. Trying to get rid of pins and needles – 260 minutes
  2. Hiccuping – 312 minutes
  3. Stifling a yawn – 60 minutes
  4. Proofreading my text messages – 1,820 minutes
  5. Figuring out the meaning of an emoji – 60 minutes
  6. Trying to decide if I want sugar in my tea – 260 minutes

I hope you can understand why I am keeping this post short. I’m off to invent some time-saving, multi-tasking techniques.

NB If you think my satsuma peeling time is excessive, it’s because I have a fear of the straggly white bits.

giphy-5

1. 8 June 2015 / 6:46 pm

I don’t even know what satsuma is, so I’m perfectly unprejudiced against your peeling it πŸ˜‰ I think I get your point though. It’s scary but probably unavoidable. And I just realised you’re using the same category name as I, “Monday Muse” – so here’s to satsumas and alliteration!

• 8 June 2015 / 6:49 pm

Haha, it’s a very small version of an orange! How funny, I hadn’t realised, great choice of category name πŸ˜‰

2. 8 June 2015 / 6:46 pm

This counts as random, but I really wish I could peel an apple in one go.

• 8 June 2015 / 6:51 pm

When you have an inclination towards sometimes being a bit weird (as I do), the randomness will out. But all the good stuff is in the apple skin! πŸ˜€

• 8 June 2015 / 6:52 pm

I wouldn’t want you any other way. I don’t know how to describe your blog to others which you should take as a huge compliment πŸ™‚

3. 8 June 2015 / 7:49 pm

I hate the straggly white bits on satsumas too. I spend hours stripping them off.

4. 9 June 2015 / 6:41 am

It’s compulsive. I have that with Kiwi (Fruit, of course) where I don’t want to lose pulp and it must be peeled with wafer thin peelings πŸ™

• 9 June 2015 / 3:28 pm

You’ve hit the nail on the head (without bending it, in order to create the neatest, compulsive-friendly nail ever hit).

5. 9 June 2015 / 9:10 am

You proof read your text messages? You proof read your text messages? She proof reads her text messages.

• 9 June 2015 / 3:29 pm

One of my pet hates (and also another time wasting activity) is having to decrypt text messages from certain people who don’t ever read them back. It’s maddening.

• 11 June 2015 / 3:33 pm

Thank you! Yes, and it’s amazing what you discover when you start thinking about it. Such is life I guess.

6. 10 June 2015 / 6:47 am

~to decide if i want sugar in my tea is a problem fr me too xD