The Monday Muse. Hello adult.

Hello Adult.

This past week has been a week of lasts. My last Friday night as a twentysomething, my last Sunday lie-in as a twentysomething, my last painful Monday morning wake-up as a twentysomething…. In case it isn’t slap-you-in-the-face obvious, this week I turn 30.

I am surprisingly not too tormented about the looming age milestone that many a woman has had a meltdown over. And I do wonder if now might be the time to stop panicking when I get asked for ID at the checkout when buying Burgundy… The wine. Not the place. Unfortunately.

As a child, I was one of the lucky ones. A birthday in half term, no school guaranteed, and one whole lazy day of presents and playing with them.

As an adult, it sucks.

Everywhere I go, I find myself amidst a crowd of little people. I am not saying I don’t like children, but I am perhaps one of those adults that only likes (and adores) the ones I know or am related to.

So, suggestions for child-avoiding, 30th-birthday-worthy weekday activities during half terms are most welcome. Answers on a postcard, please.

1. 26 October 2015 / 5:56 pm

Laura, you are going to LOVE your 30s – it’s quite refreshing actually. Less stress, I thought. Now you have your 40s and 50s to adjust to my age (59)…<3 and Happy Birthday!

• 26 October 2015 / 6:00 pm

Thanks, I have heard this from a lot of people, and I’ve already started to see a glimmer of less tress, I am very much looking forward to them! So you’ve got your 60s to contend with soon? I hope you’re feeling as positive about those?

2. 26 October 2015 / 6:27 pm

Hmm. The thing about a September birthday is that as adults a lot go away as it’s cheaper than July and August but still thought of as a late Summer. For the most part it’s ok though. I enjoy go-karting and there’s one in Slough if that helps. I wouldn’t have thought crazy golf would be too bad either.

• 26 October 2015 / 6:37 pm

I’ll take your September for my October any day! My nostalgic inner child is willing me to go to Harry Potter at Leavesden. But I just know it will be hell.

• 26 October 2015 / 6:47 pm

Yeah. It’s really fun. I had a great time when I went. If it helps though, I imagine it’s always pretty crazy down there most days.

3. 26 October 2015 / 6:30 pm

It’s not so bad being 30. It’s a bit weird at first because you think my twenties are gone and I can never go back to those days. Especially your early 20’s when things were more carefree. But I always remember my UncLe Barrie saying that woman are the most beautiful in their 30’s because they’ve matured and know what they want but they still look youthful but with an elegance that was not there in their 20’s. I hope that helps..

• 26 October 2015 / 6:35 pm

It does help thank you! It’s a lovely way of thinking about it, I have heard a few similar sentiments, fingers crossed hey?!

4. 26 October 2015 / 6:37 pm

I can’t speak for women, not being one myself, but I went off the deep end when I hit 30. RIP cake and everything. Not to mention the lollipop with “30 sucks” written on it that I got from some friends. Now, eight years later, I kind of wonder what the fuss was about. Which is is good; clears up space for the freak-out at 40…

Oh, and I still wig out when carded (which I still am, every time I order/buy anything alcoholic anywhere). Used to be flattering; now it’s just annoying.

• 26 October 2015 / 6:44 pm

Haha. I’m still in the flattering stage of being ID’d, which I took as a sign of adulthood as soon as it replaced feeling annoyed and entitled and ‘what do you mean I don’t look old enough?!’.
      I’d already RIP’d cake a while ago (except in infrequent small doses, that must be allowed, right?!), so I can live with that, although I hope I’ve not been lulled into a false sense of security and the freak-out is just looming around the corner…

5. 26 October 2015 / 7:34 pm

I had my own 30th birthday and requisite meltdown this weekend but in the end it’s just another day ? Happy birthday and I hope you have a blast ?

• 27 October 2015 / 7:46 am

Haha, oh dear, it’s not a kind number. Happy birthday to you too, I hope you’ve recovered!

6. 26 October 2015 / 8:32 pm

Laura, the 30’s are wonderful. You’re old enough to have some experience and wisdom to call your own, yet young and strong and beautiful still for MANY years. Actually, it all just gets better as you go along as long as you prepare to not be seen primarily in terms of physical beauty, which in its own way can be kind of a relief of sorts, if that makes any sense.

• 27 October 2015 / 7:49 am

It definitely makes sense, and I can imagine how freeing that must be. At the moment I cannot leave the house without make up… Actually, I can barely wander the house without make up, but perhaps that’s more the behaviour of a twenty something…? ?