Hunger.

day6

The first writing challenge of this week has asked me to describe someone that has entered my life in the last year. I didn’t even have to ever interact with this little gem for him to set up camp in the back of my head, he was waiting to be released…

I was dunking chunks of airy white bread into the syrupy sauce of the Gambas Pil Pil when I first noticed him in my peripheral. The glossy orange oil stuck to the bread and was sucked up by each doughy hole, creating delectable bite after bite, but even my ravenous stomach could not concentrate on the starter once he had appeared on the terrace.

The sun had left the sky some hours ago, but the Spanish heat still lingered in the inky night time air. He had slumped at the head of his table, the elder of a jabbering local tribe; the villagers that dined late and chatted loudly for many moonlit hours.

Chubby grey eyebrows loomed above a pair of thick rimmed glasses. His appetite was magnified by the lenses, his perverted eyes undressing every woman in sight and devouring the menu as though the dishes were oozing their aromas in front of him. An off-white shirt grasped his arms as its only means of support, flapping otherwise across his torso and his neck, unbuttoned and casually thrown open in desire of a drop in body temperature. The cool down looked unlikely for the protruding stomach, as its organs were hidden beneath aeons of over indulgence. Wiry hairs coiled across his chest and clung to the body amid pools of moisture, whilst his thick tanned skin strained across his ballooning gut and gleamed under the starlight.

As my back strained from the white plastic patio chair, and the oily orange sauce dripped from my bread onto my pristine white beach dress, I pictured the reserved, clothed crowd that frequented the restaurants around my London abode. I decided it was perhaps time to go home. My local Spanish bistro did a decent paella…

1. 22nd September 2014 / 6:37 pm

Really good description. I could completely picture this awful guy. The only thing I wasn’t sure about was describing eyebrows as chubby. But otherwise, great!

• 22nd September 2014 / 6:40 pm

Haha I probably do take a turn for the weird sometimes when I’m trying to describe something unique, and I did ponder over that word for a while… so thanks for the feedback! Thank you otherwise too, I’m glad it built up a picture for you.

2. Andrey Lychik
    22nd September 2014 / 6:43 pm

Eww. Sorry for your ruined white dress though.

• 22nd September 2014 / 6:44 pm

Thanks! Most things come out in the wash thankfully…

• Andrey Lychik
        23rd September 2014 / 6:36 pm

Hurry up and post! I need to siphon some of your descriptive talent.

• 23rd September 2014 / 6:42 pm

Haha, done! Today’s is a bit less descriptive because of the dialogue, and it’s actually rather grim to be honest… :-S

3. Andrey Lychik
    22nd September 2014 / 6:43 pm

Eww. Sorry for your ruined white dress though.

• 22nd September 2014 / 6:44 pm

Thanks! Most things come out in the wash thankfully…

• Andrey Lychik
        22nd September 2014 / 6:49 pm

that was a little too descriptive 🙂

• Andrey Lychik
        23rd September 2014 / 6:36 pm

Hurry up and post! I need to siphon some of your descriptive talent.

• 23rd September 2014 / 6:42 pm

4. 22nd September 2014 / 7:02 pm

Great job! For a moment I thought you were in Spain. Were you in Spain with this happen? And the man you described immediately gave me the creeps and made my skin crawl. You have a gift with words.

• 22nd September 2014 / 7:46 pm

Thank you! Yes it was in Spain, along the Costa del Sol, which isn’t a surprise, there’s a few of these types down that way… 🙂

5. 22nd September 2014 / 7:02 pm

• 22nd September 2014 / 7:46 pm

6. 22nd September 2014 / 7:09 pm

You do have a great gift of words and the ability to form them into alluring and interesting description! (Not that the man with “ballooned gut” was alluring). Alluring, meaning keeping the readers interest and giving them the ability to view it through your eyes.

7. 22nd September 2014 / 7:09 pm