Sharpen.

Sharpen

Happy new year to my lovely readers, I hope your last few weeks have been filled with a little indulgence of all kinds. In racking my brains this morning for a New Year’s post I ventured down this nostalgic path…

Sharpen.

Mechanical pencils are very often my weapon of choice, owing to many childhood years spent amidst shattered splinters of sharpenings and lead smears across my fingers and exercise book pages, but this morning, jutting from the hefty white ceramic fist that sits on my desk grasping my writing tools, a sliver of gold caught my eye.

Digging out a plastic sharpener in faded fuchsia from the bottom of my desk drawers, I gave this metallic sheathed scribbler its very first gasp of life. It shed its lustrous skin whilst the smell of wood shavings and lead scuffled up my New Year’s flu blocked nose and struck a chord in my brain that resonated with my eleven year old self, sharpening pencils in a blue diplodocus desk tidy that my Dad had purchased because I had a penchant for dinosaurs and it was obviously with much hilarity that one could sharpen their pencils in an extinct reptile’s bottom.

Once I’d grounded myself from my nostalgic wondering, I noticed the sharpenings had spiralled into a golden fringed crown… a regal start to the year.

1. 5th January 2015 / 7:29 pm

It’s a pretty picture for anyone who writes or draws!

• 5th January 2015 / 10:22 pm

Thank you! I wish I could draw… a sharpened pencil always seems so promising but if I try and draw something it is a very sorry excuse for art.

• 5th January 2015 / 10:43 pm

All art even by people who someday become talented by it begins with drawing and the touch of pencil to paper. Get yourself a sketch pad and little tin with a variety of drawing pencils, a small eraser, a large eraser and some things in different sizes called blending stumps and decide to draw everyday for a half an hour or an hour. Draw in shapes. Draw your shoes. Draw pictures in magazines. Draw anything that interests you. Work on a piece all in one sitting. Or bits at time. When you get better experiment drawing with charcoal or pastels, conte, or chalk pastels. By a book to guide you, look on the internet, or just draw yourself however u want. Like anything it just takes practice and u will see every day you will get better and better like writing. As somewhat of an artist myself i hope this helps u.

• 6th January 2015 / 11:17 am

Thank you, that’s some great advice, I shall definitely have a go… I’ve always liked the idea of just sitting somewhere and drawing what I see, but I need to get rid of the frustration that follows in not being able to do a good job, but I shall practice πŸ™‚

2. 5th January 2015 / 7:29 pm

It’s a pretty picture for anyone who writes or draws!

• 5th January 2015 / 10:22 pm

• 5th January 2015 / 10:43 pm

• 6th January 2015 / 11:17 am

3. 5th January 2015 / 11:42 pm

Beautiful imagery in your words. Happy New Year. I hope your flu gets better soon!

• 6th January 2015 / 11:17 am

Thank you, happy new year to you too! I am an illness wimp so fingers crossed it is starting to clear up πŸ™‚

4. 5th January 2015 / 11:42 pm

• 6th January 2015 / 11:17 am

5. 6th January 2015 / 12:19 am

I love to write in pencil – the words somehow just seem to flow better! The only problem is finding a sharpener that actually works. πŸ™‚ I look forward to seeing what you produce with your pencil. Happy New Year. πŸ˜€

• 6th January 2015 / 11:19 am

Thank you, happy new year! There is definitely something about the pencil, it keeps up with my tumbling thoughts a lot more successfully than a pen! πŸ™‚