The Monday Muse. 3 hours and 58 minutes.

IMG_6373

My Sunday was spent grappling with 3 hours and 58 minutes of film history.

As the sun was lost to the horizon and the light disappeared from the room, my tenacity was finally greeted with the line I had been waiting for. Eight of the most iconic words to be written since The Lumière brothers started this crazy craze known as filmmaking.

3 hours and 58 minutes of my Sunday afternoon spent and what did I learn?

Scarlett O’Hara is an imbecile.

10 Oscars?

Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.

giphy-3

1. 20th July 2015 / 2:46 pm

She really is. I’m always amazed that he ever gave a damn…

2. 20th July 2015 / 5:04 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. This is one of those movies I hate with a fiery passion. If the movie had followed literally ANY OTHER CHARACTER…

• 20th July 2015 / 5:06 pm

Haha! Exactly! I wondered as I was watching it if perhaps what I thought I knew of the film was completely incorrect, and that it was going to be about the other couple, but no, we kept on being pummelled with Scarlet O Bloody Hara. I’m glad I’m not the only one with this opinion.

3. 20th July 2015 / 5:18 pm

Love this post, it contains everything you need to know about this movies. And it might help people saving 3 hours and 58 minutes of their lives :p

• 20th July 2015 / 5:22 pm

That is what I was hoping… I wasn’t saved, but if my sacrifice can help others, well that’s just dandy 😉

4. 20th July 2015 / 5:22 pm

Quite possibly the most brilliant film review I’ve ever read! What a vapid, unlikeable creature she was…

• 20th July 2015 / 5:33 pm

Ha, thank you! She really was. I can’t believe she is so iconic. I thought she was supposed to be some strong, trail-blazing feminist. No. She was just a pain in the arse.

5. Andrey Lychik
    20th July 2015 / 11:26 pm

ounds like you saved me from wasting my time :D. Added to the list of films to avoid.

• 21st July 2015 / 6:18 pm

I would say don’t take my word for it, but apparently this is the general consensus, if only I knew before I wasted those precious hours.

6. 20th July 2015 / 11:49 pm

But in the day it was ground breaking. Sure, by today’s standards it’s no Jurassic World or Terminator: Genisys or Ant-Man. It would have probably only have won 3 oscars if release the same year as an Avengers film.

• 21st July 2015 / 6:23 pm

How though? I’ve studied film and spent a couple of years working on film sets, so I can see how pieces such as Metropolis and Citizen Kane were groundbreaking at the time, even though people moan that they’re tedious now, but I’m failing to see where the ground broke with this one. Perhaps if they had written some trailblazing female character, but just as she shows an inkling of being way ahead of her time she lusts after being looked after by a rich man and makes mistake after mistake all because of, oh, a man. P.S You know I am not the Jurassic World or Terminator type. And don’t talk to me about the Avengers… 😉

• 21st July 2015 / 6:31 pm

You really didn’t like that film, did you? Ok, I agree. It was a waste of time, but there was one ground breaking part – Hattie McDaniel.

• 21st July 2015 / 6:34 pm

You might say that women like that just get on my nerves…

Oh yes, her Oscar was definitely deserved, she was marvellous. Something she said about Scarlett being a spider, it made me chuckle, it was rather near the beginning, it gave me such hope…

• 21st July 2015 / 6:40 pm

8.2 on IMDB though, and that site is never wrong. As an example of its accuracy, there is no Adam Sandler movie rated higher than 2.7 (except Punch Drunk Love). Fact.

• 21st July 2015 / 7:04 pm

I’ll be honest. I didn’t check my fact. I’m a writer after all.