The Monday Muse. Choux your buns.

This time four days ago I was being kissed by the sunshine and caressed by silence. Today I am nuzzled by rain drops, sirens, children screaming and adults complaining. Goodbye Spanish campo, hello my old friend London.

Having just returned to the city from a holiday, it has taken me a moment to become accustomed to the sheer amount of souls I am once again surrounded by. It has also taken me a moment to become reacquainted with the types of souls this city is filled with…

While strolling down the aisle of a supermarket yesterday I decided, what with it being Sunday and the last official day of my holiday, I would see off two weeks of indulgent face-stuffing with a gooey cream cake.

As I perused the pastries I saw a pair of podgy fingers reaching for a chocolate lacquered choux bun; someone else had plumped for the same snack selection, although it appeared her decision needed a much more rapid wish fulfilment than mine. The bun was not her pick for the trolley, it was a mere little something to amuse her loose lips whilst she chose what she really wanted: a chunky Victoria sponge oozing with fresh cream and strawberry jam.

Now I am sure that her honest nature had her taking the empty cake box to the till with her to pay for her in store treat, but time and time again when I see these supermarket munchers, grazing on the stock as they shop, I wonder why. Perhaps they are safeguarding against that impending apocalypse that might just stop them from enjoying that box of Coco Pops the following morning. Or perhaps they can only prevail over the weekly food shop if there are tummy loving perks on the way round. It’s the ones that don’t close their mouths that are the worst. Munching on buns whilst in the middle of the supermarket, the congealed butter and cream swirling around their tongue and slapping against their cheeks.

I wonder if they’ll ID me after I’ve drunk the whole bottle of Vodka in my basket on my next grocery shop…

1. 21st September 2015 / 6:12 pm

Sounds like you were kind of disgusted by what you saw.

2. 21st September 2015 / 9:24 pm

Welcome back.

3. Andrey Lychik
    21st September 2015 / 10:12 pm

I love pasties

• 25th September 2015 / 9:29 am

Me too. Although I share my love with them appropriately once I’ve left the supermarket. πŸ˜‰

• Andrey Lychik
        26th September 2015 / 1:42 am

There are many things in this life that I could give up, pastries is that one thing that I would hesitate on πŸ˜€

• 6th October 2015 / 6:20 pm

Hmmm yes, pastries topped with icing and cherry. I wouldn’t like to give those up.

4. 23rd September 2015 / 11:20 am

Grown up versions of children whose parents opened bags of sweets to keep them quiet so the shopping was completed without whining.

5. 25th September 2015 / 10:25 am

Now, can’t lose the mental picture of you spinning around the store, perhaps riding in a trolley and swigging vodka, and possibly even singing… πŸ˜‰

6. 28th September 2015 / 3:49 pm

I laughed aloud as I read this and was especially tickled by the line, “Munching on buns whilst in the middle of the supermarket, the congealed butter and cream swirling around their tongue and slapping against their cheeks.” What a visual. Thanks for a delightful read this morning.

• 6th October 2015 / 6:32 pm

Thank you! I do love a gruesome visual, although I do hope it wasn’t too off-putting for first thing in the morning though!

• 6th October 2015 / 6:34 pm

Thank you! It was lovely thank you, although I went straight from a holiday into moving house, so my life hasn’t got any less chaotic. The new Literary Lion is on it’s way, incase you were wondering, the jar got lost amidst the boxes!