Red.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Red

It was all too familiar. The smoke lingering in the air, the enveloping cacophony of high pitched rings and chimes, the flickers of neon lights that winked from every corner. They had told me never to return here. The clerk gave me a knowing smile when he slowly slid the token across the counter.

So familiar it was between my fingers.

I stood, watching. Them, the happy, the sad, the hopeful, the hopeless, the inebriated.

I flicked the chip over and over again with my fingertips. A habitual trait.

One more chance.

One more.

Just. One. more.

With a burst of courage I cantered over to the table, sat down at the stall and tapped on the table with my one and only chip. The woman beside me gasped as she looked at the number. I pushed it forward with my scarlet lacquered finger tips.

“Red”.

1. 2nd December 2015 / 10:17 pm

Very tense story. It really pulled at your emotions and senses as you waited to find out if the chip landed where it was suppose to. How did you like Vegas? It’s one of my most favourite vacation spots.

• Donna-Louise Bishop
      2nd December 2015 / 10:21 pm

Hi Laura ? Glad to have you back. I was also keen on hearing that which literary lion entry you picked out this time too. Or was that just once a month?

• 3rd December 2015 / 12:20 pm

Hi Donna! Thank you! I did have a couple picked out but I actually left them written down at home whilst I was doing this post on the move. I will return to them next month though 🙂

• 3rd December 2015 / 12:20 pm

Or rather, in a couple of weeks… I think the jet lag has ruined my sense of time!

• Donna-Louise Bishop
          3rd December 2015 / 12:21 pm

Haha that’s okay my lovely! ?

• 3rd December 2015 / 12:19 pm

Thank you! I really enjoyed Vegas, I’d been before a few years ago but managed to see a lot more this time and stayed in a much better hotel so that was lovely! What’s your favourite hotel? There are so many!

• 3rd December 2015 / 6:38 pm

Well the Venetian or Paris have the nicest rooms but they take along way to get to your room. But we have been staying treasure island, the rooms aren’t quite as nice but the location is perfect for shopping at the fashion show mall, Caeser’s, and the Ventian. It is also close to the Mirage and the Wynn. The Wynn had a really great club called Tryst with a waterfall in it and the Mirage is a lovely hotel with lots of green plants, water fees tyres and a fantastic cirque de soleil show called ‘Love’ about the Beatles and their music!

2. 2nd December 2015 / 10:41 pm

I’ve never been to Vegas. Am desperate to go. Very cool story.

3. 3rd December 2015 / 9:17 am

Much exciting account of your gambling. I like it.

• 3rd December 2015 / 12:43 pm

Thank you! Although it wasn’t strictly my own gambling, more an observation and imagining!

4. 3rd December 2015 / 2:05 pm

Your story really does give the feel of it. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

• 4th December 2015 / 1:27 pm

Thank you! It’s definitely one of those places that lives up to all expectations, and more!