Blue.

Blue.

Blue

Whilst giving my poet’s brain some dozing time this weekend, I am looking to two of my wordsmith heroes and pilfering their greatness for my post. From one of the masters of verse, W. H Auden, comes the poem ‘Funeral Blues’, which I first heard as a ten year old that, for some reason, after having taped it on my new VHS recorder in my bedroom, had a fondness for Richard Curtis’ Four Weddings and a Funeral.

If I could ever dream of writing a poem so fine I could only wish for it to be read so well…

Funeral Blues.

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message ‘He is Dead’.
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

1. 21 February 2015 / 6:44 pm

An excellent poem and the treatment in the film was perfect.

2. 21 February 2015 / 6:44 pm

An excellent poem and the treatment in the film was perfect.

3. 22 February 2015 / 12:30 am

Nothing now can ever come to any good.
    This whole poem is so powerful. It brings me to tears every time.

4. 22 February 2015 / 12:30 am

Nothing now can ever come to any good.
    This whole poem is so powerful. It brings me to tears every time.

5. 22 February 2015 / 1:33 pm

It brought me to tears. I remember the same happening when watching the movie. Now though I think about my younger brother. I now know how death feels.
    Thanks Laura. Beautiful photo and choice of poem.

• 23 February 2015 / 10:47 am

You’re welcome. It’s strange how our perceptions of something like this change with time and what we go through. When I was watching it as a child it struck me, probably for its rhythm and general mood more than understanding the moment completely, but as an adult and having gone through relatable experiences it takes on a whole new meaning.

• 23 February 2015 / 3:02 pm

Exactly. You described very well what I also experienced. Thanks.