AM.

IMG_5681

Wake up.

I became aware of the frown on my face as soon as I gained consciousness. A radiant ray glistened from the window across my left eye. It narrowed the pupil and created warmth in a strip along my skin. The sunlight was headache inducing.

Dusty particles pirouetted across the beam, vanishing as soon as they crossed to the other side. I took a deep breath and a pungent stench attacked my insides. I opened my mouth to avoid it, but the smell enveloped my lungs after clinging to the back of my throat.

I tried to stand. My legs weren’t listening, they stayed heavy on the floor. As I shifted my head away from the sunlight the rest of the room became clear.

I was just one of many.

Rows and rows of them and the only one moving was me.

giphy-9

1. 19 June 2015 / 9:47 am

Interesting choice of “them” at the end, rather than “us”.

I failed last week. I wrote “woods” at the very top of a new sheet of A4 and all I though about was teddy bears.

I’m in this week. And have also gone for your theme of shafts of light in the mornings. πŸ™‚

• 19 June 2015 / 7:06 pm

Thanks, I was going for the mysterious tone I guess. Teddy Bears aren’t all that bad, but it’s as if your head is filled with fluffy clouds and rainbows and unicorns.

• 19 June 2015 / 11:06 pm

If I could get the teddybears/clouds/rainbows/unicorns combo out of my skull, I may be able to write something serious.

2. 22 June 2015 / 3:00 pm

Nice and creepy Laura. I like the contrast from a glistening radiant ray of sunlight to a hideous stench.

• 23 June 2015 / 11:24 am

Thank you! I’m glad you noticed, usually sunlight brings with it thoughts of freshness and the open air, but I saw this space quite differently.

3. 22 June 2015 / 5:08 pm

Great story – reminds me of being a student and waking up disorientated, somewhere strange, with a blistering hangover πŸ™‚ Very well described.
    I finally did my story! Better last minute than never.

• 23 June 2015 / 11:28 am

Much better late than never! Haha, I’m such a lightweight I never could quite drink enough to induce a hangover even as a student, I’m nor sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing…