The Monday Muse. Embracing the Odd.

IMG_5985

Embracing the Odd.

I was often told that if I wanted to be a writer I would need to grow a thick skin.

My papery epidermis has taken a tear or two over the past couple of years, but a comment I received last week was to prove to be my biggest test yet.

It is never nice to be told your work isn’t good. So far, I haven’t yet come across too many unhelpful comments, and most of what I am told is justified, even if I am a little reluctant at first to admit it.

Last week I was given some feedback in relation to a freelance job I was bidding for. The company had asked if I would write a trial piece for them, which is industry code for “we want you to write something for free even though we can see a huge portfolio of your work online.”

I obliged, and it was within an evaluation of this piece (which came from an anonymous ‘evaluator’ that hid behind the name of the company) that I found this pearl of wisdom…

“Your words seemed odd.”

Baffled by the buckets of brilliance that it must have taken to come up with that little whip-smart nugget, I didn’t quite know what to say.

It took the strength of a superhuman not to reply with an equally insightful observation such as “your face is odd”, but instead I printed it out and I pinned it on my pinboard.

Over the past few years, I have started to embrace my eccentricities. So if it shines through my words I’m afraid it’s just the mark of someone who’s becoming a bit more comfortable in their skin… which, funnily enough, is getting ever thicker.

giphy-10

1. 6 July 2015 / 7:08 pm

I like your fictional writing and your regular writing. Moral of the story: I like your writing πŸ™‚ Stay odd πŸ™‚

2. 6 July 2015 / 7:25 pm

your writing is great and your words most certainly aren’t odd! x

3. 6 July 2015 / 7:31 pm

I used to teach in the gifted program – one of my students, who knew how I loved all of their quirkiness, made a sign for my door – “Freaks, geeks, and nerds welcome here!” I always told them to embrace their inner nerd and quit worrying about other people’s definitions of that word if they wanted to be happy.

• 7 July 2015 / 11:40 am

That’s absolutely fabulous. The world needs more teachers like you. I might have to make a similar sign for my office πŸ™‚

4. 6 July 2015 / 7:50 pm

I’m a supporter of the odd. Really, normal is vastly overrated. Homogenized thoughts are boring. Embracing the odd is truly a fantastic way to live.

• 7 July 2015 / 11:56 am

Having tried the so-called life of a ‘normal’, I can wholeheartedly agree!

5. 6 July 2015 / 8:00 pm

I don’t find your writing odd at all. I quite enjoy it and find it refreshing. Keep on keeping on!

6. 6 July 2015 / 8:00 pm

Think I’m echoing a lot of other comments but you are an amazing writer and ‘odd’ is a brilliant thing to be!